Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low assembled 18 girls from Savannah, Georgia, on March 12, 1912, for a local Girl Scout meeting. She believed that all girls should have the opportunity to develop physically, mentally and spiritually.
The first Girl Scout troop in southern Nevada was formed on April 14, 1932 in Boulder City, with just 22 girls. Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada received its chartered from Girl Scouts of the USA in 1943.
Throughout the years, the organization has grown in jurisdiction and membership capacity, along with several name changes. Today Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada serves an area of approximately 50,000 square miles, including the southern Nevada counties of Clark, Esmeralda, Lincoln, and Nye.
The Girl Scout Leadership Center is located in Las Vegas. Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada operates Camp Foxtail on 15-acres in nearby Lee Canyon, Toiyabe National Forest; a primitive day-use site in the Red Rock Recreation Area; and a Boulder City and Henderson Girl Scout house.
- 1932 first Girl Scout troop formed in Southern Nevada
- 1943 Council officially sponsored by Girl Scouts of the USA
- 1950 first cookie sale
- 1954 Camp Foxtail opens
- 1957 Headquarters moved to Las Vegas
- 1961 Dedication of Girl Scout Service Center on Stewart Ave
- 1966 Land patent issued for 30 acres in Calico Basin
- 1970 Senior Girl Scouts elected to Board of Directors for first time
- 1988 first Girl Scout Drop-In Center opened – Doolittle Drop-In
- 1999 first In-School programs launched
- 2004 grand opening of the Donald W. Reynolds Girl Scout Training and Service Center
- 2006 Council jurisdiction changes – now serves the counties of Clark, Esmeralda, Lincoln, Nye, and Inyo County, California
- 2008 Girl Scouts received Capacity Building Grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation
- 2010 Council changes its name from Girl Scouts of Frontier Council to Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada, rebrands its image and renamed the service center to Girl Scout Leadership Center
Last Modified: 3/15/2011 11:38 AM